France, Normandy (?)
Pot metal; white glass with silver stain
97.7 x 69.8 (38 1/2 x 27 1/2) approx.
Stopgaps in the upper part include a fragmentary God the Father Giving the Tablets to Moses, 15th century
Provenance: Stanford White, New York, to 1907; Edson Bradley, Washington, D.C. and Newport
Bibliography: White sale (1907B), n.p., no. 47.
Collection: Private Collection (Newport, Rhode Island)
Object/Accession: Foyer, West Window, a 1
Arms: Heraldic border of France and Castille
Inscription: maria mater dei
Note: The house was built for Edson Bradley by the architect Howard Greenley in 1927-1929; an uncertain quantity of glass was brought from his prior home in Washington, D.C. The building is now divided between the Music Department and a boysÍ dormitory of Salve Regina College, and the glass is in four different locations: the foyer or main entrance, the Music Room, the stairway and a large second-floor room across the stair landing. In each case the lights are designated a, b, c from the left and the panels are numbered from bottom to top, according to standard Corpus Vitrearum convention. The Music Room windows are numbered 1-4 from southeast to southwest and northeast to northwest. Ivy has been allowed to grow over the entire West Window of the foyer and the condition of the glass everywhere is alarming. Stepladders were not available for close examination and measuring.